Director, New York Transit Museum (Brooklyn, NY), 1986 to 1991
Developed the Transit Museum into a professionally run and staffed institution for the New York Transit Authority. Managed a combined salary and operating budget of approximately $1,200,000.
Transformed the facility into a major corporate/history museum within the administrative structure of the NYC Transit Authority.
- Upgraded the physical structure of a 1930’s subway station to support a revolving exhibition program.
- Established an advisory board.
- Established the Museum as an integral part of the transit authority education/promotion policy.
- Established the museum as a center for the interpretation and study of public transportation impact on urban development.
- Established an Archive containing NYC’s transit/urban history.
- Grew the museum budget from mere salary support to operating budget in excess of one million dollars in less than four years.
- Established educational programs for a multi-generational audience.
- Established an oral history program on transit folklore.
- Establishment of an interpretive exhibition program.